- MapIt version: 3.0.
- Postcode dataset: February 2022 edition.
- Boundary-Line: May 2022 edition.
- Super Output Areas: The 2011 Lower and Middle Super
Output Areas for England and Wales from ONS; Scotland Data and
Intermediate Zones; the 2011 Northern Ireland Super Output Areas from
- Welsh community wards: A one-off import from October
2012, not updated since.
Changes to MapIt UK’s data
- 46, May 2022 Boundary-Line. Boundary changes include:
- All Welsh councils;
- Scotland: Na h-Eileanan Siar, North Ayrshire, Orkney, Shetland;
- London: All boroughs bar Bexley, Croydon, Hackney, Kensington & Chelsea, Redbridge, Southwark, Tower Hamlets;
- Metropolitan boroughs: Bury, Rochdale, St Helens;
- Unitary authorities: Reading;
- Districts: Gosport, St Albans, South Cambridgeshire;
- 45, March 2022, updated NHS boundaries.
- 44, October 2021 Boundary-Line. This edition has two non-normal changes:
the English Regions are back, in type “ER”; and non-civil parish areas
have been imported with type “NCP”.
- 43, May 2021 Boundary-Line. The main change in this import is that the EUR
boundaries were removed as the UK has left the European Union. You can
continue using an older generation if you need these results. Ordnance
Survey are including the regions as a new dataset instead, so we will look
at whether we can import those in future as a proper replacement.
- 42, new councils created on 1st April 2021. Northamptonshire County Council
and its seven districts were abolished, replaced by two unitary
authorities; North Northamptonshire (covering the old areas of Corby, East
Northamptonshire, Kettering, and Wellingborough), and West Northamptonshire
(covering Daventry, Northampton, and South Northamptonshire).
- 41, October 2020 Boundary-Line. This reinstates the old county and district
wards within Buckinghamshire, as they are still extant, but maintains the
new unitary authority.
- 40, June 2020, updated NHS boundaries.
- 39, April 2020, the creation of Buckinghamshire Council unitary authority,
from the merger of the old county and district councils.
- 38, March 2020. The addition of 2011 Super Output Areas and Zones, and UK
- 37, October 2019 Boundary-Line. The code for the WMC Shetland Islands was
incorrect, missing the final "1"; a Welsh community was missed from the May
2019 edition, brought back in this one.
- 36, May 2019 Boundary-Line. Glasgow & North Lanarkshire have had
boundary changes, but we maintain their MapIt IDs, moving the old boundaries to
new IDs. As mentioned below in generation 35, we now include the new wards for
the new councils that came into existence at the start of April. Other boundary
changes include new wards for a variety of unitary authorities and district
- 35, new councils created on 1st April 2019:
- Taunton Deane and West Somerset councils merged into Somerset West and Taunton Council;
- Forest Heath and St Edmundsbury councils merged into West Suffolk Council;
- Suffolk Coastal and Waveney councils merged into East Suffolk Council;
- Dorset county council and five Dorset district councils (East Dorset, North Dorset, Purbeck, West Dorset, Weymouth and Portland) merged into a new Dorset Council;
- Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole councils merged into Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council.
These councils exist in MapIt along with the wards that were originally
defined in statute to come into effect with the May 2019 elections.
However, entirely new wards then come into effect for all of
them at the May elections a month later, based on LGBCE reviews conducted in
2018. These will appear in generation 36 when we have them. We recommend not
using the wards in generation 35 as they are only temporary; if you wish to
keep using the old councils/wards until then, you may specify generation 34 in
your API calls.
- 34, October 2018 Boundary-Line.
- 33, May 2018 Boundary-Line. Fife & Perth and Kinross have had boundary
changes, but we maintain their MapIt IDs, moving the old boundaries to new IDs.
Boundary changes include:
- London boroughs: Bexley, Croydon, Redbridge, Southwark;
- Metropolitan boroughs: Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne;
- Unitary authorities: Blackburn with Darwen, Hull;
- Districts: Eastleigh, Harrogate, Hastings, Huntingdonsire, Newcastle-under-Lyme,
South Cambridgeshire, South Lakeland.
- 32, October 2017 Boundary-Line. The names for Uckfield North and St
Leonard's Forest have been corrected, as has the GSS code for Clydebank
Central. Ordnance Survey incorrectly assigned Flintshire's Halkyn ED's new GSS
ID to Brynford ED in the May 2017 edition, which we have now worked around.
- 31, May 2017 Boundary-Line.
- 30, October 2016 Boundary-Line.
- 29, CCG and Health Board initial import.
- 28, May 2016 Boundary-Line. We had to deal with the fallout from OS
providing incorrect boundaries for the Welsh Assembly from October 2013 to May
2015 inclusive, another parish disappearing and coming back, and fix a mistake
whereby some of Alresford & Itchen Valley was included as Cheriton and
Bishops Sutton. All council changes were automatically picked up:
- Bristol (2015/1871)
- Cherwell (2015/1872)
- Colchester (2015/1859)
- Elmbridge (2016/301)
- Exeter (2016/65)
- Gloucester (2015/2026)
- Knowsley (2015/2036)
- Lincoln (2015/1461)
- Peterborough (2015/1858)
- Rochford (2015/1860)
- Sheffield (2015/1861)
- Stroud (2015/2034)
- Warrington (2016/115)
- Watford (2016/112)
- Welwyn Hatfield (2016/116)
- Winchester (2015/2063)
- Woking (2015/1462)
- 27, OSNI December 2015 boundaries, providing us full boundaries for
- 26, October 2015 Boundary-Line. Two incorrect IDs in the source needed
patching, work around a parish that had disappeared and is now back, and remove
ONS codes from Welsh Assembly boundaries from before this import.
- 25, July 2015, new Northern Ireland councils data.
- 24, May 2015 Boundary-Line. Many councils with boundary changes, including
Darlington, Doncaster, Leicester, Swindon, and York.
- 23, October 2014 Boundary-Line. This edition reverted all the Torfaen
changes from May 2014, returning the Torfaen communities and electoral
districts to as they were in the October 2013 edition.
- Torfaen council changes, 14th October 2014: A one-off script was run to fix
up some of the changes to Torfaen wards/communities in the May 2014 edition of
Boundary-Line that should not have been present.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2013/2156/contents/made is the source
for all of this. Specifically, section 2 saying that articles 5, 6 and 10
don't come into operation until before the next election, which is 2017.
This script revoked the changes made for the purposes of articles 5 and 6,
but the changes for article 10 overlap with changes for (active) articles 8
and 9, so we will live with those being incorrect until Ordnance Survey
release hopefully fixed boundaries in October.
Boundaries W05000993, W04000981, W05000997, W04000984, W05000995, and
W05000996 were deleted, with W05000771, W04000761, W05000779, W04000767,
W05000777, and W05000777 reinstated.
- 22, May 2014: May 2014 Boundary-Line. Ordnance Survey reverted a change to
South Tynedale's ONS code they'd made in October 2013. Six boundaries were
invalid and fixed manually. The following councils were redrawn:
- Hackney (2013/2795)
- Kensington & Chelsea (2014/25)
- Tower Hamlets (2013/1786)
- Milton Keynes (2014/22)
- Slough (2012/2769)
- Hart (2012/1395)
- Three Rivers (2014/243)
- West Oxfordshire (2012/2993)
- Torfaen (W2013/2156)
- 21, December 2013: October 2013 Boundary-Line. This updated the
Welsh Assembly regions and constituencies, Northumberland, Gateshead, East
Hertfordshire and Stevenage.
- 20, May 2013: May 2013 Boundary-Line. Council boundary changes:
The following have had minor changes:
- Buckinghamshire 2012/1396
- Cumbria 2012/3113
- Derbyshire 2012/2986
- Gloucestershire 2012/877
- Northamptonshire 2013/68
- Oxfordshire 2012/1812
- Somerset 2012/2984
- Staffordshire 2012/875
- Surrey 2012/1872
- Anglesey 2012/2676 (W290)
- Cornwall 2011/1
- Durham 2012/1394
- Northumberland 2011/2
- Cambridgeshire 2012/51
- Devon 2010/2788
- Essex 2011/2764
- Kent 2010/2108
- Leicestershire 2012/2854
- Norfolk 2012/3260 2013/220
- North Yorkshire 2012/3150 2013/221
- Shropshire 2012/2935 (minor)
- 19, March 2013: October 2012 Boundary-Line
- 18, July 2012: Northern Ireland Output Areas
- 17, May 2012: May 2012 Boundary-Line. Council boundary changes:
- Glasgow/E Dunb. 2010/353 - new ONS codes
- Huntingdonshire 2010/684
- Epping Forest 2011/2764 (minor)
- Swansea 2011/2932
- Swindon 2012/2
- Hartlepool 2012/3
- Rugby 2012/4
- Broxbourne 2012/159
- Daventry 2012/160
- Rushmoor 2012/161
- Welwyn/St Albans 2012/667 - new ONS codes
- 16, April 2012: October 2011 Boundary-Line. Ordnance Survey had mislabelled
the IDs of two areas in May 2011, and these were manually fixed at this point.
- 14/15, January 2011: October 2010 Boundary-Line, and 2011 Scottish
Parliament boundaries. A few wards/parishes were renamed. The following
councils had redrawn boundaries:
The following councils had minor changes:
- 2011/3 Cheshire East
- 2011/4 Cheshire West and Chester
- 2011/161 Bedford
- 2011/162 Central Bedfordshire
- 2011/163 Mansfield
- 2011/164 Northampton
- 2011/165 South Derbyshire
- 2011/166 Sedgemoor
- 2011/167 Stoke-on-Trent
- 2011/168 West Somerset
- 2008/176 Maidstone
- 2008/178 Uttlesford
- 2008/748 2009/533 Stratford-on-Avon
- 2009/532 Tewkesbury
- 2009/538 North Norfolk
- 2009/540 Pendle
- 2009/542 Mid Devon
- 2009/543 East Devon
- 2009/2786 Kettering
- 2010/684 Huntingdonshire
- 2010/687 Wellingborough
- 2010/2108 Tonbridge and Malling
- 2010/2109 Kirklees
- 2010/2788 Teignbridge
- 2010/2943 North Somerset
- 2011/404 New Forest
- 2011/406 Rotherham
- S2010/353 East Dunbarton/ Glasgow
- 13, July 2010: May 2010 Boundary-Line. The main change was the new England
and Wales Parliamentary constituencies.